Ministerial Development Review
Ministerial Development Review (MDR) Aims to
- ... support clergy
- ... enable reflection on their ministry
- ... help further develop good ministerial practice
The MDR Process ...
- ... is an 'Accompanied Self-Review' process. The reviewer is there to help the reviewee to reflect on their ministry and discern God's affirmations and invitations to further development
- ... is for all clergy holding the Bishop's Licence
- ... takes place every year
- ... is overseen by the CMDO Revd Nick Helm with administrative help from Suki Gregson-Smith, PA to the Local Ministry Officer.
The MDR reviewers...
- ... are a mix of lay and ordained people who have been identified as suitable and have undertaken a three-day training programme
- ... are chosen by each reviewee themselves (from published list with information about each reviewer)
A person's review is expected to be conducted within a particular quarter. To spread reviews through the year reviews have been split by deanery so that about a quarter of the clergy in the diocese are reviewed in each year quarter. The schedule is as follows:
Jan - Mar: Clun Forest, Ledbury, Ludlow & Telford Severn Gorge Deaneries
April - June: Abbeydore, Bromyard, Kington & Weobley & Pontesbury Deaneries
July - Sept: Hereford & Condover Deaneries
Oct - Dec: Bridgnorth, Leominster & Ross & Archenfield Deaneries
The Ministerial Review process involves about 120 clergy reviews each year. The process is phases so that about a quarter of the clergy are reviewed in each quarter of the year.
This new process is intended, to establish a structure for supporting ongoing ministerial development as well as to satisfy the requirements Common Tenure makes of the Diocese. Given that ordained ministry begins through God's call and is for God's kingdom, ministerial development is primarily about discerning the ongoing call of God for the minister in their journey of faith and service.
The Revd Preb Nick Helm as MSD Officer is responsible for its implementation, the training and selecting of reviewers and the running of the scheme. The administration is being handled by Suki-Gregson-Smith in the Ludlow Diocesan Office.
You can download all the MDR documentation here. Those undergoing reviews will receive their documentation direct. Paper copies can be provided upon application.