We have 420 churches in 356 parishes divided between 13 deaneries within two archdeaconries and we are led by the Bishop of Hereford.
Our Diocesan governing body is Diocesan Synod.
All members and representatives listed in our structure can be contacted via the Diocesan Directory
The members of Diocesan Synod are the Bishop of Hereford,the Suffragan Bishop (the Bishop of Ludlow/Archdeacon of Ludlow, the Dean, the Archdeacon of Hereford, clergy and lay members of General Synod, the Chairmen of the Boards of Finance and Education and the Diocesan Advisory Committee and the Chancellor of the Diocese.
Further members are elected by deanery synods, with up to 10 members nominated by the Bishop and a few places available for co-option. Elections take place every three years. Synod considers matters relating to the diocese and to the Church of England, including matters referred to it by the Bishop or by General Synod.
The next election will be in 2021. A list of current members is available from the Diocesan Office on request.
Also known as the Standing Committee of Diocesan Synod
- to plan the business of the Diocesan Synod, to prepare the agenda for its sessions and to circulate to members information about matters for discussion;
- to initiate proposals for action by the Synod and to advise it on matters of policy which are placed before it;
- to advise the President on any matters which he may refer to the Committee;
- subject to the directions of the Synod to transact the business of the Synod when it is not in session;
- to appoint members of the committees or nominate members for election to committees, subject to the directions of the Synod;
- to carry out such other functions as the Synod may delegate to it.
Ex Officio Members:
Diocesan Bishop - The Rt. Revd. Richard Jackson
Archdeacon of Hereford - The Ven. Derek Chedzey
The Dean of Hereford - The Very Revd. Michael Tavinor
Chair of the House of Clergy - Revd. Preb. Simon Cawdell
Chair of the House of Laity - Philip Wilcock
Chair of the Board of Finance - Revd. Jane Rogers
Chair of the Board of Education - Stephen Borthwick
Elected clergy, three required: Revd. Preb. Ashley Buck, Revd. Ruth Hulse, Revd. Andy Morgan
Elected laity, three required: Jo Beavan, Patrick Darling, Chris Smith
Skills nominees (4 places for Skills; names to be formally approved by Diocesan Synod/DBF*):
- Nigel Sellers, Mark Simmons, Kay Askew, Nat Hone
Bishop's nominee: Lady Darnley
In attendance: Diocesan Secretary, Sam Pratley
Archdeaconry and Diocesan Mission and Pastoral Committees (MPCs)
Chaired by the Archdeacon and staffed by the Diocesan Pastoral Secretary and the Diocesan Mission (MAP) Development Officer, these committees have a key role in leading mission and financial growth in the diocese. Through their annual cycle the meetings enable Rural Deans and Lay Co-Chairs in mission networking, mutual accountability, decision making, sharing learning and replicating success.
November MPCs annually:
- Prepare for Statistics for Mission and finance returns
- Focus on the particular emphases for shared planning for coming year
February MPCs annually:
- Review mission action taken and outcomes from year past; identify action in response
June MPCs annually:
- Digest, learn from, request diocesan action in the light of updated deanery plans
- Diocesan shared Mission Action Plans, outcomes and implications to annual July Diocesan Synod.
The functions of the Archdeaconry M & P Committees will from 2019 become functions of the new Bishop's Council instead.
The General Synod considers and approves legislation affecting the whole of the Church of England, formulates new forms of worship, debates matters of national and international importance, and approves the annual budget for the work of the Church at national level.
Each diocese is represented in by their diocesan Bishop, in our case the Bishop of Hereford and by clergy representatives elected by the clergy of the diocese, together with lay representatives elected by deanery synod members.
General Synod elections are every five years with six people elected in Hereford Diocese on the 2015-20 General Synod. They are:
Clergy: Laura Dalton, Simon Cawdell, Neil Patterson
Laity: Elizabeth Bird, Wendy Coombey, Martin Elcock