Canon Frome: St James, HR8 2TD
Parish church. West tower 1680, remainder rebuilt 1860 by G F Bodley. Red brick in English bond to west tower with sandstone plinth and ashlar dressings, dressed and squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings to remainder, slate roofs. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with south organ chamber. West tower: three stages, three string courses and parapet with moulded cornice, pyramidal roof with weathervane, semi-circular headed lancet vents with transoms to belfy stage. Nave: two bays, raised verges; semi-circular headed lancet to left and 3-light window with quatrefoil in central roundel and moulded label to right of gabled porch with pointed arch headed entrance of two chamfered orders and label with zig-zag enrichment; chancel: two bays with raised verge and with single lancet to right of forward projecting gable of organ chamber with loop in gable and shouldered arched head to doorway, octagonal shaft to chimney. Interior: trussed rafter roof, two-bay arcade to north aisle with central clustered pier and arches of two orders, outer chamfered, inner moulded, rectangular plan responds, moulded bases and capitals, blind arcading to north and east walls of north aisle, rose window to east wall of north aisle with good stained glass. Chancel: trussed rafter roof, ceiled to eastern bay, chancel arch of two orders, outer chamfered and inner moulded order dying into decorative corbel. The church is one of G F Bodley's earliest commissions.
Regular Third Sunday Holy Communion Service. Modern language Communion Service with music and hymns