Stottesdon: St Mary, DY14 8UH
Tucked away behind this quiet and secluded village is a surprisingly large and historic parish church. With its earliest parts probably dating from before the Norman Conquest, the size of the church shows how important Stottesdon once was as the centre of a Hundred. The church has nave, chancel, north and south aisles - the latter with its own altar beneath the Epiphany east window - and a tower with an active ring of bells. Visitors come especially to see the pre-Norman tympanum above the tower east door, and the Hereford school Norman font. But it is a church that has served the community for a thousand years or so, and is imbued with all the spiritual history of the everyday lives, and the special celebrations, of the parish.
The church is used for parish worship every Sunday, and for Morning Prayer during the week. Our Outstanding village school also uses the church to mark its special occasions.
1st Sunday in the month: Evensong at 6:30 pm from April to September inclusive, 4:30 pm from October to March inclusive. This service uses the Book of Common Prayer, treasuring Thomas Cranmer's beautiful traditional language service, as amended in 1928.
2nd Sunday: Holy Communion at 10:30 am using Common Worship. Our service book includes all the Eucharistic Prayers provided, allowing us great flexibility for seasonal use.
3rd Sunday: Informal Worship at 10:30 am is a 'Service of the Word', with a light-touch liturgy, and lasting about half an hour.
4th Sunday: Holy Communion at 10:30 am, as on the second Sunday.
All these services have hymns sung, and, apart from the Informal Worship, last about an hour.
The church is also used for special occasions, with regular requests for baptisms and weddings, as well as celebration of lives fulfilled at funerals. Further information about arranging these can be found on our website (www.stottesdonbenefice.co.uk), or by contacting the priest-in-charge.
Evensong according to the Book of Common Prayer