Stoke Edith: St Mary, HR1 4HQ
Parish church. C14 west tower with C17 recessed needle spire capped in 1940, nave and chancel rebuilt between 1740 and 1743 by Henry Flitcroft,
Clerk of Works to Crown for Thomas Foley. Dressed and coursed sandstone rubble to tower with ashlar dressings. Stuccoed brick nave and chancel,
slate roof. West tower, nave and chancel. West tower, four stages with diagonal buttressing and recessed needle spire (now capped); 2-light
windows to bell-stage and single lights to lower stages, door to west on ground floor; nave and chancel, five bays, doorways to first and
last bays with moulded architraves and panelled doors, oculus above each door, three semi-circular-headed arched windows with pronounced
keystones and imposts, brackets to sills. Interior: pair of giant Tuscan columns separate entrance bay and body of church, similar columns separate
marbled chancel end. Fittings: contemporary box pews remain intact.
Font: small marble bowl supported on wrought iron stand.
Monuments: on north wall of entrance bay, late C15 tomb with alabaster effigy of female in contemporary dress; many other wall tablets commemorating members of Foley family.
Regular Fourth Sunday of the month Holy Communion. Traditional Communion Service with music and hymns.