Billingsley: St Mary, WV16 6PH
Billingsley Church was built in around 1140 in the reign of King Stephen. It is Grade II* listed, and the churchyard is home to two ancient yew trees. It has an unusual Jacobean double pulpit, and the font is largely original Norman stonework. The church has an Easter Sepulchre dating from around 1320. The bellcote houses two bells, the north bell dates from the fourteenth century. The south bell is inscribed ‘God Save The Queen A. R. 1707’. The parish register dates back to 1627.
Billingsley church is visited by people from all over the world, some from as far away as New Zealand and Canada. This is often because they are researching their family history, and we are the only place in the country called Billingsley. Other visitors are interested in the village's unique industrial history, as although the area is now very rural, Billingsley was an important mining and industrial centre from the time of the Napoleonic Wars until the early twentieth century.
Many comments in the visitors' book mention the profound sense of peace and sanctuary from the modern world which is immediately noticeable in Billingsley Church.
Visit our website at http://www.stmarys-billingsley.org.uk/
Also follow us on Twitter: @StMarysB, and facebook: St Mary's Billingsley
Billingsley Church is a member of the Shropshire Churches Tourism Group.
Holy Communion Service
We hold a Holy Communion service at 8am on the fourth Sunday of each month (except at Easter when the service is at 9am on 21 April and September when we will be holding the Severn Valley Benefice Communion Service at 10am on Sunday 30th instead). There are usually no hymns at this service.
Sing along Sunday
Come along and sing your favourite hymns on the second Sunday of each month at 6pm. The Sing along Sunday services run from March to October, and are friendly informal community events. There is an opportunity to sing a variety of hymns and hear a short talk. In 2017 there was a series of short talks about the history of Billingsley and the place of the church. Refreshments are provided.