Ministerial Development Reviews
MDR Aims to
- support clergy
- enable reflection on their ministry
- help further develop good ministerial practice
The MDR Process ...
- ... is an 'Accompanied Self-Review' process. The reviewer is there to help the reviewee to reflect on their ministry and discern God's affirmations and invitations to further development
- ... is for all clergy holding the Bishop's Licence
- ... takes place every year
- ... is overseen by the CMDO Revd Nick Helm with administrative help from Suki Gregson-Smith, PA to the Local Ministry Officer.
The MDR reviewers...
- ... are a mix of lay and ordained people who have been identified as suitable and have undertaken a three-day training programme
- ... are chosen by each reviewee themselves (from published list with information about each reviewer)
Clergy due to choose a reviewer can download information about reviewers from here (username and password required)
A person's review is expected to be conducted within a particular quarter. To spread reviews through the year reviews have been split by deanery so that about a quarter of the clergy in the diocese are reviewed in each year quarter. The schedule is as follows:
Jan - Mar: Clun Forest, Ledbury, Ludlow & Telford Severn Gorge deaneries
April - June: Abbeydore, Bromyard, Kington & Weobley & Pontesbury deaneries
July - Sept: Hereford & Condover deaneries
Oct - Dec: Bridgnorth, Leominster & Ross & Archenfield deaneries
The new Ministerial Review process gets underway for all licensed clergy in the Diocese on 1 July. With a total of over 140 clergy to have a review each year, it has been decided to phase the process so that one quarter of the clergy will be reviewed in each quarter of the year.
This new process is intended, to establish a structure for supporting ongoing ministerial development as well as to satisfy the requirements Common Tenure makes of the Diocese. Given that ordained ministry begins through God's call and is for God's kingdom, ministerial development is primarily about discerning the ongoing call of God for the minister in their journey of faith and service.
The MDR scheme was developed by a working party under the chairmanship of Brian Chave. Nick Helm as CMD Officer is responsible for its implementation, the training and selecting of reviewers and the running of the scheme. The administration is being handled by Suki-Gregson-Smith in the Ludlow Diocesan Office.
You can download the key documents for MDR here (these are all pdf files). Paper copies can be provided upon application.
Introducing MDR in the Hereford Diocese: A general overview of the MDR process and its background.
MDR Process Flow Chart: This details the steps of the process that can be used as a checklist and monitor.
Self-Review Form: The form that will form the basis of the conversation with the reviewer (in PDF Format)
Self-Review Form: The form that will form the basis of the conversation with the reviewer (in Word Format)
Self-Review Form Instructions: Basic Instructions on Completing the Self-Review Form
Self-Review Form Guidance: Guidance notes for working with the Self-Review Form.
Review Report Form: The form that records the conclusions of the review (in PDF Format)
Review Report Form: The form that records the conclusions of the review (in Word Format)