You are here » Home» Churchwork» Mission and Ministry Development» Local Mission and Ministry
Local Mission and Ministry
A strategy for Hereford diocese
Recognising that far-reaching changes were taking place in Church and society, in 1994 the Diocese of Hereford adopted Local Ministry as its strategy for the future.
This means recognising that 'the ministry of the local church' involves everyone, not just the Vicar. Many lay people already work hard for the church in practical ways, but often not all the gifts for pastoral ministry, leading worship and strategic thinking are being used.
The Local Ministry Scheme is a way of putting the strategy into effect. The Diocese has worked out a process which has now been tried and tested in a variety of places.
Three marks of local ministry
Local Ministry can be spotted by looking out for the following marks:
- local communities of faith discerning God's call to mission over the years ahead and obeying that call;
- all Christians being enabled to realise their gifts as they share in discipleship and ministry;
- lay people and clergy sharing leadership as local churches take responsibility for being signs of God's Kingdom.
What is a Local Ministry Development Group (LMDG) - and why form one?
A LMDG is made up of the Incumbent plus various others - usually a specially formed group based on nominations by the congregation.
- acts as a focus and a catalyst for mission and ministry in the local church;
- is not meant to do all the work but rather to foster the ministries of all God's people as together they share in God's mission.
A LMDG is useful because it provides:
- a way of taking forward ideas which otherwise might remain on the shelf;
- a range of complementary gifts, rather than the strengths (and weaknesses) of individuals on their own;
- a coordinating point for the benefice's mission;
- an expression of the ownership of the Church's future by all God's people;
- a way of realising people's gifts, within and beyond the LMDG.
Download the information leaflet 'What is Local Ministry?'
Download the information leaflet 'Why Local Ministry Development Groups?'
Find out about the Mission and Ministry Life-Cycle