You are here » Home» Churchgoers» Board of Education» Schools
There are three distinct kinds of Church of England school in partnership with local authorities (LAs):
- Voluntary Aided: the school is owned by the church, a majority of the governors are appointed by the Church (Foundation Governors), the teachers are appointed and employed by the governing body, the cost of repairs and capital projects is raised by the governing body with 90% grant from the DfES, religious education and worship are distinctively Anglican, the governing body is the admissions authority;
- Voluntary Controlled: the school is owned by the Church, the Church appoints governors, but there is no Church majority on the governing body, the teachers are employed by the Local Education Authority, the LEA funds repairs and capital projects, religious education follows the local agreed syllabus, the worship is Anglican;
- Foundation: the foundation owns the school, the governing body employs the staff and is the admissions authority, the Church appoints a minority of governors, religious education follows an agreed syllabus and the worship is Anglican.
There are in addition two main kinds of Church of England independent schools:
- Academies: some academies are designated as having Church of England character. Academies are independent schools, owned by their trustees, governors employ the staff and are the admissions authority. The church appoints a minority of governors, religious education and worship are distinctively Anglican, set up capital is provided partly by the trustees. Revenue, and continuing capital funding are provided by the DfES. No fees are charged.
- Other independent schools: the majority of fee-paying schools in England have a Church of England ethos. Independent schools may also now be formally designated as having a Church of England character, in which case the powers of their governors will be broadly those of voluntary aided schools.
We have 81 Church Schools in our Diocese, two being Secondary, 3 being Acdemies and 2 being Free Schools-as our diocese covers two Local Authorities the links below will take you to the schools in each County.
FOLLOW THIS LINK TO VIEW SCHOOLS IN HEREFORDSHIRE
FOLLOW THIS LINK TO VIEW SCHOOLS IN SHROPSHIRE